ESSENTIAL OIL FINDER|
The Oils and Plants Oil Finder Database, helps you quickly find which Essential Oils to use for which ailment. Type in the name of an Essential Oil or an Ailment to find the definition. You will find fuller explanations on our Ailments and Essential Oil pages.
Please note that this is only a guide to help you identify which oils are good for which ailments and vice versa. Once you have found the oil that suits your needs, please read the whole article for that oil to find out any contraindications and if it is the right oil for you.
Here are the results for the letter n
- Beautiful floral oils soothes, relaxes, uplifts the spirit and helps maintain confidence. Exquisite aroma. Excellent skin care oil, perfect for aging, dry sensitive skin and on scars and stretch marks. Sensual properties. Is an aid to improve sluggish circulation, relieves tension, stress and anxiety, useful for apprehension like stage fright. Its tranquillising action on the sympathetic nervous system makes a good remedy in cases of insomnia, especially where sleep is disturbed due to depression. Also helpful with neuralgia (nerve pain), headaches and vertigo. Its antispasmodic action promotes a calming effect on the intestines and can be helpful with colitis and diarrhoea. Soothes palpitations of the heart and cleanses the blood, improving circulation - generally a very good tonic.
See our Neroli Oil Page for indepth information.
- NETTLERASH (Hives)
- Nettlerash is an allergic skin reaction that takes its name from the fact that the symptoms are similar to those which appear after a person is stung by a nettle. Essential oils of Camomile and Melissa are traditionally used to treat allergies, and will quickly relieve most attacks of urticaria. An important factor is that both these oils work on the mental/emotional level as well as the physical, having a calming and de-stressing action. In this way, they act on the underlying cause of the allergy, as well as the immediate effect.
- Neuralgia means a pain originating in a nerve. It can apply to any part of the peripheral nervous system Powerfully analgesic (i.e. pain-killing) essential oils offer a better alternative, and the most effective way of using them is in hot compresses over the affected part of the body. Camomile, Clary Sage, Lavender, Marjoram and Rosemary are the most effective, and can be alternated or blended with each other to give the maximum pain relief.
- Because it is non-irritant and powerfully antiseptic, this is a good oil for the treatment of acne and similar skin conditions such as boils. This should not be your first choice of an oil for acne but because treatment so often needs to be continued over a long period of time, it is important to have some alternatives and vary the oil used every few weeks.
See our Niaouli Oil Page for indepth information.
- A nosebleed can be stopped simply and effectively by soaking a plug of gauze or cottonwool in cold water (iced if possible) with a drop or two of essential oil of Lemon, and inserting this as far up the nostril as possible. Oil of Lemon is a haemostatic (i.e. it stops bleeding by speeding up the rate at which blood forms clots).
Get the victim to lie down in a quiet place, and put an icy-cold compress at the back of the neck - maybe with a few drops of oil of Lavender added. If the bleeding continues, get more qualified help, as the amount of blood lost can be serious.
- Its main action appears to be on the digestive system and particularly useful in breaking down fats and starchy foods as well as encouraging appetite. May have an effect on wind, nausea, chronic vomiting, bad breath and diarrhoea - though apparently averts constipation too. Can act as an intestinal antiseptic and said to dissolve gall stones. A very stimulating oil invigorating the heart and circulation. Good for the digestion and calming to promote a restful sleep with dreams. Its rather warming quality is a balm to muscular aches and pains as well as rheumatism, especially of the chronic kind. Also said to lesson the sharp stabbing pain associated with neuralgia. A very stimulating oil invigorating the heart and circulation.
See our Nutmeg Oil Page for indepth information.
You can either type in the word you are looking for in the box below or browse by letter. We are constantly updating the Oil Finder Database, so if you don't find what you are looking for, please comeback soon and try again. You can contact us via our facebook page if you would like to add some information to the Database.
Browser by letter
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z