The Oils and Plants Aromatherapy Glossary gives definitions of Aromatherapy and Herbal Terms.
Here are the results for the letter p
- A remedy for all diseases, evils, or difficulties; a cure-all.
- Helping delivery in childbirth.
- Helpful for chest infections.
- The wavelike muscular contractions in tubular structures, especially organs of the digestive system such as the esophagus and the intestines. Peristalsis is characterized by alternate contraction and relaxation, which pushes ingested food through the digestive tract towards its release at the anus. Worms propel themselves through peristaltic movement.
- The action of drugs and essential oils in the body
- The characteristics or properties of a drug, essential oil, herb or plant especially those that make it medically effective.
- A chemical messenger used as a signal between individuals.
- A term used to describe a molecule which has a partial positive and negative charge. Polar molecules are generally water-soluble.
- Amino acid polymer. See Amino Acids for more information.
- Perfumed fat obtained as a result of enfleurage.
- Any of a large group of single-celled, usually microscopic, eukaryotic organisms, such as amoebas, ciliates, flagellates, and sporozoans.
You can either type in the word you are looking for in the box below or browse by letter. We are constantly updating the glossary, so if you cannot find a definition, please email us and we will add it for you.
Browser by letter
# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z